Complete materials with assignments, quizzes and dates are found on TRACS.
Intro/History and Trends
- Read: Notes on video – The Internet: Behind the Web
- Read: Internet Pioneers
- Read: Tim Berners-Lee, Weaving the Web excerpt on TRACS
- Read: Dennis, Baron, From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literacy Technologies in Passions, Pedagogies and 21st Century Technologies, 1999
- Review: Communication Technology and News Media Timeline
- Read: My visit to the Computer History Museum – click the photos to go through the slideshow.
The Pew Research Center has numerous studies that related to digital media. Most modules will have one or more Pew Research studies associated with them. You do not need to read the entire report, but peruse for general direction. I will outline any important trends in my video. The Pew Reports might provide elements for your Research Project.
- The Web at 25 in the US, 2014
Take the Quiz: What Internet Users Know About Technology and the Web. How did you do? You will discuss in the forum.
Presentations – copies of the presentations used in the videos above
Watch: The Internet: Behind the Web
- Review: WordPress handout (on TRACS) – the videos go over the process, but here are instructions.
- Visit to start your blog: WordPress.com
- Read: WordPress Powers a Quarter of the World’s Websites, 2015
- Read: Pros and Cons of Top 5 Web Platforms, Paste, 2015
- FYI: WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org (self-hosted)
- Read: Start Blogging, Start a Business and Build an Authentic Brand, Inc. 2015
- Read: The 30 Most Influential People in Tech, Forbes 2013
- Watch: Tech Trends 2015 – 2 min.
Web Design – HTML
Web Design – CSS
Browsers and Search
- Read: Browser Wars: 2015 Trends and Predictions
- Read: Browser Wars Heat Up As Microsoft Prepares New Tool to Catch Up To Google, Silicon Valley Business Journal, Dec. 2014
- Review: W3 Schools Browser Stats
- Watch: Part I Download: The True Story of the Internet, Browser Wars, 43 min.
Search and Search Engines
- Watch: Part II Download: The True Story of the Internet, Search, 43 min.
- Watch: How Search Engines Work, 3 min.
Search Engine Optimization and Marketing
- Expert Insights on the Future of SEO – Part I & Part II
- Search Engine Optimization Explained – Watch the video
- Read: Top 10 Social Media Companies, Fast Company 2014
- Read: YouTube’s First Decade Shows Sharing Free Content Pays Off, SF Gate, 2015
- Read: How to Rock Social Media – Fast Company Wikipedia
- Read: Jimmy Wales Interview, Wired 2013
- Read: Periscope and Meerkat Up the Ante on User-Generated Content, Forbes, 2015
- Read: Great Wall of Facebook: The Social Network’s Plan to Dominate the Internet and Keep Google Out, Wired 2009
- Watch: Part IV Download: The True Story of the Internet, People Power, 43 min.
- Watch: Game Changers – Mark Zuckerberg, 45 min.
- Watch: TED Talk – Clay Shirky – How Social Media Can Make History, 15 min.
- Watch: How Does Facebook Make Money, 8 min.
- Watch: Socialnomics – Erik Qualman
- Read: How the Android Ecosystem Threatens the iPhone, Wired, May 2011
- Watch: Planet of the Apps, 6 min.
- Watch: Mobile Development Strategy, 4 min.
- Read: 10 Mobile Trends 2015
Drones, Sensors, Wearables and Virtual Reality
- Read: Elevating the News with Drones, JSK, 2015
- Read: Journalism’s Emerging Platforms, CJR, 2015
- Read: As Sensor Journalism Rises, Guidelines Needed, MediaShift, 2014
- Read: 2015 Wearable Tech Trends, Digital Trends
- Read: The Rise and Fall of Virtual Reality, The Verge, 2014
- Review: Examples: Internet of Things, Postscapes
- Watch: The Internet of Everything is the New Economy
- Read: Big Data: The Management Revolution, Harvard Business Review, 2012
- Read: Streamrolled By Big Data, New Yorker, 2013
- Read: Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century, Harvard Business Review, 2012
- Read: Why a Data Scientist Should Be Your Next Marketing Hire, Huffington Post, 2014
- Location-Based Services, 2013
- US Smartphone Use in 2015
- The Future of Apps and the Web
- The Future of Big Data, 2012
Business Models and Branding
- Read: The Long Tail, Chris Anderson
- Read: Free, Chris Anderson
- Watch: Gary Vaynerchuk: Legacy is Greater Than Currency
- Read: Excerpt from Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Read: Mastering the Uncomfortable Art of Personal Branding – Fast Company
- Read: Bay City Blogger – TXST Alum Jonathan Valdez
Trends in Online Advertising and PR
- Read: Spending on Native Advertising is Soaring, Business Insider, 2015
- Read: How Snapchat’s CEO plans to Conquer the Advertising World, AdWeek, 2015
New York Times Multimedia has many great examples of compelling photo slideshows and video.
- Coal Miners Struggle to Survive – photo slideshow
- Public Art in Detroit – photo slideshow
- The Jockey – videos integrated with text and photos.
- Snowfall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek – multimedia project that has become a classic.
- One in Eight Million – excellent photo stories with audio.
NPR.org is another excellent example of multimedia storytelling. Their forte is audio. There is a wealth of great audio projects on their site.
- The Serial Podcast of the This American Life program was a groundbreaking and popular project.
- The Battle Royale to Keep McDonald’s Out of Paris – notice the ambient noise, the quality of audio interviews and the way that the narrator progresses the story.
- The Giant Pool of Money – listen to some of this, interesting how audio sets the stage in a financial story.
Firestorm – The Guardian: multimedia storytelling about wildfires in Australia.
Adam Bender – story well told with video.
LoneStar Rod and Kustom Roundup – by talented videographer Jorge Sanhueza-Lyon (who is now at KUT- Austin); notice the range of shots, how the subjects tell the story, the use of b-roll, sound and color.
Graffiti Permission Wall – video done by TXST student; excellent storytelling
Ivory Wars -watch starting at 5:05-6:47 – excellent use of graphics/map in multimedia storytelling.
There are many, many other great examples of multimedia online.
Presentation – copy of presentation used in video above
- Read: NY Times Magazine, Goosing the Grey Lady
- Read: News as User Experience – Revisited
- Read: Make Content for the Way People Consume Media Today, BuzzFeed 2015
- Read: BuzzFeed is the Apple of Media, Everyone Else is Microsoft, Wired 2014
- Read: Facebook Instant Articles are Live, Nieman Lab, 2015
- Read: A Terrible Year for Newspapers, a Good Year for News, The Atlantic 2014
- Read: Are Journalism Schools Teaching Their Students the Right Skills, Nieman Lab 2014
Data Journalism Projects
Review: Toxic Waters – NY Times
Review: Test Scores – NY Times
Review: Propublica Dollars for Docs
Review: Dogs of NYC, WNYC
More data visualizations on Pinterest
- Zane Lowe Keynote SXSW 2017
- What Does a Singer Do When the Music Business Collapses, WSJ, Jan. 2016
- Media Shift: 5 Tips for Musicians to Engage Fans Digitally
- Media Shift: The Time is Right for Direct-to-Fan Music Marketing
- The New Rockstar Paradign – Damian Kulash (of OK Go in WSJ)
- Whose Tube? – Damian Kulash (of OK Go in NY Times)
- Beware the New New Thing (of OK Go in NY Times)
- Musicians Finance Their Dreams Through Kickstarter
- Amanda Palmer TED Talk – The Art of Asking Music Sharing Presentation
- Watch Video: Remix Manifesto
Gender and Diversity Online
- Read: The Forgotten Female Programmers Who Created Modern Tech, NPR, 2014
- Read: The Truth About Marissa Mayer – Business Insider
- Read: A Woman’s Place: Can Sheryl Sandberg Upend Silicon Valley’s Male Dominated Culture, The New Yorker, July 2011
- Read: Journalism Schools Need to Get Better at Teaching Tech Where the Girls Are, 2012
- Read: Computing Degree and Enrollment Trends, 2011-2012
- Read: Google X Guru Tapped By White House as CTO, 2014
- Read: How Tech Companies Compare in Employee Diversity, Fortune 2014
- Read: Tristan Walker: The Visible Man, Fast Company 2014
- Read: The 46 Most Important African-Americans in Technology, Business Insider 2014
- Read: Lack of Diversity Could Undercut Silicon Valley, USA Today, 2014
- Read: Black in America- Silicon Valley – The New Promised Land, CNN
- Watch: Sheryl Sandberg of Facebook, TED Talk – Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders, 15 min.
- Watch: Megan Kamerick – TEDxABQ Talk – Women Should Represent Women in the Media, 10 min.
- Read: Make Way for Generation Z, New York Times, 2014
- Read: What is Gen Z? And What Does It Want? Fast Company, 2015
- Review: KPCB Internet Trends Report, 2015
- Read: Long Live the Web, by Tim Berners-Lee
- Read: The Nielsen Family is Dead – Wired, 2013
- Read: The Web is Dead – Wired, 2010
- Read: The End of the Web. Don’t Bet on It
- Read: 7 Things Everyone in Your Organization Should Know
- Watch: John Oliver on Net Neutrality
- Watch: What is Net Neutrality?
- Watch: Net Neutrality in the Shower?
- Read: FCC Passes Net Neutrality
Aug. 5 Exam Review
Aug. 6 – Final Exam