Here are the last few things we have to do before it’s all over.
- Please watch and read all materials for today Aug. 1 on the Outline. I want to be able to discuss the gender and race issues in tech. And I want to continue hearing your thoughts on tech in media education.
- For tomorrow, you will have some readings and videos on the future of media, and you will have to do a blog post about it.
- By 2pm tomorrow (Fri), I will have a final exam review posted on the course outline. We won’t be doing a Google Hangout. I can answer questions on Mon.
- We’ll do the Student Perception evaluation on Mon. You will also receive an email about doing a course evaluation. These are two separate evaluations we are required to do.
- I went over Storify embedding yesterday. When you publish, choose Distribute. You can’t embed on WordPress.com. But you can use the Export command. Cick the 2nd WordPress button (for wordpress.com) and configure your WordPress login info. Then hit Export. That should post the Storify directly to your blog. You can go in to your dashboard and edit the file, if necessary. Try this. If it absolutely doesn’t work, then do a post that links to your Storify. But definitely try it. I can help anyone having problems.
- For your Slideshow, try that soon, to see if you have the Slideshow option under Type when you insert the Gallery. Let me know if you don’t, because we will have to come up with another option for that. Do so soon, because I won’t be available to assist very much after the final, since I a flying out the next morning.
- Your blog posts, all the required options since the midterm, will be due by Wed, Aug. 7 at midnight. Do your best to make a great presentation of the material, good theme, sidebar options, etc.
We’re in the home stretch. The final exam is next Tues. I moved your due date for finishing your required blog posts on your topic to next Wed.
Here’s what’s going on:
- Read Chapters 10 and 11 for tomorrow. Also, there is a link “Analyzing Data is the future…” and an article on TRACS under Resources royal_future.pdf (it’s a chapter I wrote in the book pictured above). We’ll discuss. Please read so you can contribute.
- That will finish up the book. The final will cover 7-11, but there may be a few questions from the first part of the session.
- We will finish talking about data-driven journalism tomorrow and pick up with the future of news.
- Keep up the good work on news discussions on Facebook. Original news posters, make sure you are also posting on Twitter with #fdom hashtag.
Thank you for giving Kolten your attention in class today. We can discuss his talk a little more on Mon.
- For tomorrow, you have an online assignment on the course outline. Watch the Remix Manifesto video and read about Video Games. If you haven’t done the readings on Music, make sure you have done so.
- Online Assignment – Do a blog post discussing the video and your opinion on some of the issues it raises. Do this post on Friday, as it is your online assignment for this day.
- We will finish up with that and move on to Online Journalism on Monday. Read Chapter 9 in the book for Mon.
- We will also spend a few moments catching up with the Business Models and Personal Brand readings on Monday.
- Keep up the news posts and comments. Juliette and Carlie tonight, Morgan S. and Morgan R tomorrow.
- Work on your blog posts for the final section of the class. Photo slideshow and video are 2 of them. We will talk about Storify a little more next week.
- Just a week and a bit more to go with this session. Have a nice weekend.
I graded your Blogs for the halfway point (midterm). You can find on TRACS. You can find feedback in the Dropbox. I am very pleased with most of them. Several did excellent work. Many apps were very creative. Some good content and thought!
We won’t meet in class tomorrow (Wed). But you have reading and videos on Developing a Personal Brand. The Crush It Excerpt is under Resources on TRACS vaynerchuk_crushit.pdf. I will post the powerpoint with audio tonight. You are to do all the readings on the Outline for July 24 and then do a blog post by tomorrow night (Wed midnight) on this:
Assignment – make a blog post summarizing all today’s readings/video and provide an outline of how you will improve your personal brand. How is your personal brand perceived right now? How would you like it to be perceived? List at least three things you could do to better convey your personal brand.
For Thurs., there are a bunch of readings and a TED Talk on Music and Remix Culture on the Outline. Make sure you do those for Thurs. We will also have our guest speaker, Kolten Parker on Thurs., so be ready to ask him questions. We will finish up on Video that we began today.
We’ll discuss Fridays assignments on Thurs.
Kristen and Anil will post news tonight. Jennifer and Elizabeth tomorrow. Be sure to make your comments. See you on Thurs.
That’s two weeks down. We are making progress through this quick summer session.
For this weekend:
- Complete all your blog posts. Refer to the Assignments page for all the details of your blog posts and getting the basic requirements of the blog set up. 5 good posts: good content, images and links. Everything well thought out.
- Study for Midterm. We’ll have on Mon. 50 questions, Multiple Choice/TF. I’ll bring scantrons, you bring pencils.
- I’ll be having a review on a Google Hangout tomorrow at 2pm. I’ll send an email around 1:45 when I crank up the Hangout. You will probably have to download a plugin – should be quick and painless. Make sure you in a quiet place with pretty consistent wifi or Ethernet connection. You can watch the Hangout, but Join it when you want to talk.
- Follow more people on Twitter, ask questions of a few more people. Try to get some more responses. We’ve had good ones so far.
- Wade and Cecilia will post news for tonight. Make sure you do it both on the FB group and Twitter with #fdom.
- Reminder: we won’t meet in class tomorrow (but I’ll be online on the Hangout). We also won’t meet on Wed next week 7/24, but you will have an online assignment. On Thur. 7/25, we’ll have Kolten Parker as guest speaker. Please follow him and be prepared for his talk (@koltenparker).
Great discussion today. Everyone seems to be making the proper connections between using some of these tools and understanding their business and successes or failures. Please review what we now have going on:
1. Twitter – find three new people to follow AND ask questions of at least 2 people, something about your career, advice, skills, anything. Be creative. Let’s see if we get more responses.
2. Work on blog posts. Review the requirements under Assignments. Make sure your blog looks good, meets all the specifications. You have 5 posts before the midterm. One on your Facebook page, one with a mobile app idea. We’ll discuss this a little more tomorrow. Every post must be well written, have a few paragraphs (not just one or two sentences) and all posts must have carefully considered images and links – not just things thrown in as afterthoughts. Choose all your elements carefully.
3. Cameron and Allison will post news tonight. Please do on FB Group and Twitter with #fdom hashtag. Everyone comment by noon tomorrow.
4. Check your Klout score.
5. Read Chapter 6 on Visual Storytelling with Photos. The midterm will cover through Chapter 6. We will discuss your photo assignment, but that will be due next week after the midterm.
6. Start studying for midterm. We will discuss the review session that will be done online on Fri.
Good discussion today. I feel like you are really beginning to understand how to get different kinds of value from social media.
Tomorrow, we will finish with some of the other articles on social media that we didn’t get to today.
- Watch the video, Part IV on Download: The True Story of the Internet, People Power (you may also watch the one on Bubble, but that is not required). You must also do a blog post on the video (on your blog). Talk about what interested you and what has happened since in the social media space. Remember, links and images are elements of good blog posts.
- Read Chapter 5 in the book, on Mobile. Take a look at the other links under Mobile.
- Be working on your blog posts to be able to have five on your topic by the midterm. This does not include the one required above on the video)
- Begin studying for the midterm. We will have a Google Hangout on Fri as a review. Make sure you have access to some sort of Google account in order to participate (gmail, etc). We’ll talk about more tomorrow.
- Work on that Facebook page for your topic. Work on getting 25 fans, so you can do a custom url. Also, one of your five posts on your topic will be to announce your Facebook page.
- You should have completed the CSS portion of the HTML assignment before class. I will be reviewing tonight.
- Neil is posting news tonight to the Facebook group and using the #fdom hashtag on Twitter. Make your comments on FB. Keep up the good work on this discussion!
Make sure you keep up to date with the readings, videos, assignments. Class is better if you can contribute, not just me talking the whole time. Anything we cover is fair game for the exams.
- For tomorrow, do the 2nd part of the HTML Assignment – CSS. I have already logged in the ones that did HTML I assignment, but you can still get credit for doing the 2nd part.
- Read Chapters 3-4 in the Journalism Next textbook. Also, read all the links on tomorrow’s section on the Outline. We’ll discuss.
- I have also logged in who did the Scavenger Hunt. These items all go toward your assignment grade. The ones I saw looked great. Nice work! Hope you enjoyed. Check out the #fdom hashtag to look at what others did.
- Erica and Alexis post news tonight. Make sure you post both on FB and using the hashtag (#fdom) on Twitter. Why do you think I want you to do both? Comments just have to go on FB group.
- If you want to get ahead, you can start watching Part IV of the Download video on People Power. Link is on the Outline for Wed.
- Make a Facebook page for your blog, and work on getting at least 25 likes (so you can get a custom username for it).
- Work on your next posts for the blog. You have to have 5 due by the midterm, which is Monday.
We made a lot of progress this week. Here’s what you need to do for the next few days. We will not meet in class tomorrow, Friday 7/12.
- Check out FDOM – Royal Facebook group (ask to join if you haven’t already) each morning and make a comment on each news post. Check the Outline at fdom.cindyroyal.net to see when it is your day to post news. Elias and Carlos are posting news today. Ben and Cori will do it tomorrow.
- If you haven’t already, fill out the form with your blog, twitter and linkedin. I need those items asap. Form is in a previous message.
- Work on the HTML Exercise Part I that we went over in class. Refer to the HTML Exercise Handout. We will talk about CSS on Monday. Instructions for Dropbox are on the third page of the handout. Do Part I and upload to Dropbox before class on Mon.
- Watch the videos on Browser and Search on Download: The True Story of the Internet. Links are on the Course Outline.
- Do the Twitter Scavenger Hunt and create a Storify (Storify.com) with all your tweets. Make sure you use #fdom for all the tweets and make a tweet with a link to the Storify. We covered Storify in class. It’s pretty self-explanatory. Add title, description and text between tweets for transitions. If you aren’t able to do the “campus” items on the list because you are in another city for most of the weekend, then do your best to come up with something similar. You will also use Instagram or Vine for videos if your phone has that capability.
- Work on another blog post for your blog. Remember, five are due by the midterm, which is on July 22.
- If you didn’t already, watch the Steve Jobs/Mark Zuckerberg videos. Anything we discuss in class or cover in assignments is fair game for exams. Also, if you want, watch the Steve Jobs commencement address I mentioned from 2005 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA. It’s great. Very inspirational.
See you on Mon! Have a nice weekend.